Thursday, March 6, 2008

Remembering Granny

This is a long post. Feel free to not read it or to only skim it. Its not here for you so much as its here for me to process:

My Granny (dad's mom) passed away a couple weeks ago. As far as death goes, it was one of the "better" kinds. She had lung cancer and Doctor's had been guessing for awhile about how long she might have left. On a Friday, she went into the hospital and found out she was leaking air into her abdomen. It could be cured with surgery, and while some rehab and other associated inconveniences would result, she'd get to live longer. Granny declined. She was tired. She was ready. I don't think any of the family questioned her decision. The good thing about dying in this way was that we all got to spend a couple of days with her. She still had her mind and we all got to visit and say goodbye (or rather, see you later). When she declined surgery, the doctor said she's have 24-72 hours. She hung around for nearly 5 days.

One of the great things about visitation and funerals is the way they bring family and friends together. I got to spend a few days with family I don't normally see and a couple of people came to the funeral home that I hadn't seen in over 10 years. I got to hear some stories about Granny I'd never heard. She'd really lived quite a life. Married, divorced, and remarried in a time when that wasn't normal. She and my grandpa created a family out of strangers and did it so well that it was only very recently that I learned that some of the relatives weren't really related (by blood that is). Granny had traveled, worked on a farm, shot guns, collected things, made things, learned to use computers, lived without indoor plumbing, and was way ahead of the fashion trends. Her choice to die was a choice to engage in yet another adventure...

After crying a few times in the hospital I did pretty well for the next few days. The real mourning didn't come for me until the actual funeral service started. I cried a lot, but then Granny had chosen a great song for her service. It was an older tune and without the lyrics it sounded like something from a disney cartoon. It was peppy and didn't fit the mood at all. Most people in the room were laughing through their tears. I want that at my funeral.

I did fine after the service but the next hard part I wasn't expecting. A few days after the funeral, my Dad took my sister and I to Granny's house to pick out something to have as a memento. Walking into the house was like walking onto sacred ground. There was all here stuff...the house was full of Granny's many collectibles...and yet it was empty. Dad instructed us to look around and pick something out, but my sister and I did the only thing that we could at that time...we sat in the chairs in the living room and cried with each other. For me, this was the first time it felt like Granny was gone.

What do you take to remember someone? A lifetime of possessions and you can pick out one or two that reminds you of her? My sister and I mulled around and looked at her stuff. It was like visiting her. It was hard. When it became apparent that our mission was futile, I settled on a few small, silly things.

I only visited with Granny every once in awhile, so most of my life isn't affected by her passing. I could probably go a few months without ever noticing that she was gone...and yet I'm not sure more than a day has passed since her death that I haven't been aware that she's not here. I miss her. We still had a lot to talk about. She was going to teach me to make pull candy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

I am so very sorry for your loss and hope that you will still learn to make pull candy. I know your Granny will be right beside you all the way.

I had the same experience you did as far as having to pick out a few momentoes when my Great-Grandmommie died. I took a couple of silly things that didn't remind me of her at all but whenever I see Juicy Fruit gum or eat a Jelly Belly that flavor, I think of her and smile. She included a stick of Juicy Fruit gum in every single card she ever sent me and there were lots.

She was the first close person I'd lost. I've lost many more since then but know that I will never lose them completely and will be with them again someday. I wonder if they have Juicy Fruit in Heaven?

Take care.
Jayne

Shannon said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Granny. Sounds like she was a very brave woman; and blessed with a supportive loving family.

When my Nannie died, I had to decide what to take. I lost it when I walked into her room and found a valentines card I made for her several years ago, taped above her bed. Also taped on her wall was the email I sent to let her know I'd gotten the job here in Jerusalem...

I took the bible, that was my moms, which Nannie took when mom died. Also a cross stitch that she made, which I framed for her.

Strange what we take...I wonder what someone would take from me...

RedHeronCurrents said...

Rachel,

I am sorry for your loss. Words can't change it or make it easier or take away the pain.But I do believe we should share our grief and pain with others. It's a human connecting point unlike any other. Reach out and ask for what you need, whatever that is in any given moment. Know that you are in my thoughts and I am available to listen and to help with those needs.
Peace and Love to you,
Kelly