Thursday, January 31, 2008

Catching up

It's been awhile since I've posted anything but I was waiting to have something worth saying. Sad, that one can go a month without having a thought worth sharing, eh? ....and actually, I'm not sure if I've anything profound at this time either, but I figure if I keep waiting for great events or great thoughts to arrive before posting, I may never write. So what have I been doing since December 18th?

Christmas: family, friends and food. good times. There was, once again, a sickening amount of materialism, even in my family which has been trying to cut back on our addiction, but my part of it was definitely lessened. I told my friends and family that i had a rule this year; either no gift, or a re-gift. If anyone wanted to give me something, it should be homemade or something they had lying around that you no longer want or use. Give me an old DVD you've seen a thousand times, maybe a sweatshirt you don't wear, or...you get the picture. Its a tough thing for people to do...after all, how do you show someone you love them without giving them anything? Suprisingly, most of my friends and family played along. A few of us agreed on considering our time spent together as our "gift" to each other. I got a used DVD and I my favorite gift was a necklace my sister gave me that she's had a couple of years.

Vacation: for me, Christmas is also a vacation...I got two full weeks off of work and school this year. I used the time to do some much needed clean up in my house, read some books for fun (I don't get to read many "fun" books while i'm in school), and spent time with people i'd been neglecting

January: Back to the grind. Work and school are in full swing but both are going well. My law classes are Constitutional law, criminal procedure, medical malpractice, property, and lawyering skills. They're all very interesting, though criminal procedure is proving to be morally challenging for me (another post on that later). I just joined an indoor soccer team and we start playing in a week. I've been trying to get in shape but I'm too cheap to pay for a gym membership (why pay for something you can do for free? and let's be honest, i'm not going to the gym when i get finished with my day at 9:00). I think about running outside, but then i realize, it's cold. real cold. and I don't do well with running in the cold. call me a weenie if you want, but it hurts my lungs, and what's the point of working out if it's not at least a little bit fun.

Other tidbits: went ice skating with my friends jenny and liz (and liz's kids). It was fun but i got huge blisters on my feet. the bar i usually dance at on Friday nights closed down. now i have to find something new to do on friday nights (actually, indoor soccer is on friday, so i guess i'm good for the season). I enjoyed a great "game night" with some of my old guy friends a few weeks ago. I miss them and have vowed to spend more of my time with the guys. I planned and hosted my first governor's cup competition at KCD. That probably doesn't mean much to most of you, but trust me, it was a big accomplishment for me.

I suppose that catches you up on what's doing with me. See, I told you i didn't have much worth saying.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Thanks for the update, it's fun to picture all those regular daily life-happenings...Nothing much here...just several inches of SNOW.
Yay!